Thursday, July 24, 2014

How to Handle Burnout

My boyfriend calls me a bunny rabbit because I hop from here to there and can never remain still.  Actually that's one of the reasons I make BeBe Babies.  For example, I can't just watch a movie.  I need to be working on something otherwise I feel like I'm wasting time.  So I stuff doll heads or tie knots on scarves while I watch the movie.  I generally only slow down when I'm sick because I literally can't to do anything.  Lately I have been sick a lot but have been keeping mostly the same pace.  I think it's starting to catch up with me, because I realized today that I really really need to start finding a balance in my life.

I feel this enormous pressure to work on my dolls.  I've mentioned many times that I am desperate to turn my two online businesses into a full time job.  Currently I work full-time teaching English as well as managing two Etsy shops.  There is never enough time to accomplish all I want to accomplish in a day.  Running a successful online shop requires so much work on many different fronts.  From blogging, to videos, advertising and also time to create, it's sometimes overwhelming.

I find that I don't take time to enjoy the moment.  I don't take time to nurture friendships, fun and relaxation.  These things are vital to avoid burnout.  And I'll tell you what I'm burnt out.

Next week I'm going to New York.  I'm going to visit my oldest friend who I haven't seen in several years.  I'm very excited, but that nagging need to always be working is pulling at me.  I've reached a point where I realize I can't have it all (at least not right now), and I'm thinking about big changes in the future.  Things that will free me up from this extreme pressure.  I know I can't work at this pace for much longer before my health is going to be seriously affected.

Today instead of sewing I decided to catch up on some online work.  I finished a new Youtube video, added a page to my website, and I'm writing this blog post.  I have found the best way for me to avoid burnout is to not necessarily stop working, but just to work on something different.  So when you find yourself feeling this way my advice is to work on a completely different project.  You will come back to your work refreshed and ready to start again.

Here is the Youtube video I made today.  I wanted to give you a taste of what it is like for me here in Mexico.  I hope you enjoy it.


What do you do to combat burnout? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi!!!! Thank You!!!! I love getting a glimpse into Mexico!!!! Although that looks like a lot to get to the post office!!!! A big adventure!!!! The baby you were sending out was too cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for watching Carla! It does seem like a hassle sometimes. We are hoping to get a car in the near future so that going to the post office doesn't take up so much time. Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete