Friday, April 18, 2014

Something Different

Sometimes when am trying to fall asleep at night I think about my dolls and about new designs I would like to try.  For a long time I have been thinking about working on dolls that are a bit more realistic.  In the past I made reborn dolls but tired of them because there were so many people making them.  I didn't really feel that I was good enough to compete either.  I started making cloth dolls because I was always interested in sewing and I loved the idea of creating a doll from my own patterns and imagination.

I like the style of my dolls.  I like their simplicity.  Sometimes I think I over complicate things, when simple is sometimes interesting in itself.  If not there would be such a love of Waldorf dolls.  However it's always fun to try something new too.  After a lot of trial and error I finally completed Sadie, my new realistic preemie BeBe.  She has a lot of features I have never included in my dolls, such as realistic/sewn on ears, fingernails, etc.


I'm really happy with how she turned out but there are still things I want to improve.  For example, I cannot figure out lips.  I can do fine with the lip is tucked under but I can't seem to make natural looking full lips.  I think it is because my painting abilities are lacking.  If anyone has any tips for lips please email me or post in the comments.


I also can't seem to do realistic looking open eyes but I'm going to try that again.  I'm hoping to make a lot more of these little babies because honestly if I was collecting I would want one of these little ones really bad.  In fact, it might be hard to give this one up.  :)


Read more about Sadie here on Etsy.

2 comments:

  1. First, I think she is perfect!! Second, since she is your first, you should keep her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks for the comment Sandra. I might decide to keep her. :)

    ReplyDelete