Sunday, June 20, 2010

Finally Done!

Remember how my pals Sarah and Adam got married last month? Well I had planned to make them something plush because I figured of everyone I know they would appreciate something handmade the most. Sarah has an illustration of a merbear that she drew and I thought it would be fun to make her a merbear couple in plush. I began before the wedding and actually finished the "Adam" merbear before leaving for Maine but after returning I was bombarded with BeBe Baby orders and wasn't able to finish the "Sarah" merbear until this weekend. I just got back from delivering these fellas to Sarah and Adam so now I can share the pictures with the world!

A little bit about these merbears... They are made from fake fur, fleece, upholstery fabric, glass eyes, embroidery floss and wool felt. Their arms and heads are jointed with plastic joints so they can move their heads and arms. The boy merbear has a fleece crown and the girl has a fabric shell bikini top. I made them so that they can hang on the wall. I just realized I forgot to measure them but they are big....probably around 17-19 inches. The girl is a bit smaller than the boy.

One of the coolest features of these guys are their eyes. I had ordered glass eyes before but never this large and when I got them I realized that the backs needed to be painted. If I didn't paint them you could see the fabric through the glass and it didn't look good. I ended up painting the eyes first with a glitter paint and then with a complimentary color over the glitter once it dried. They came out so cool! Now I want to paint other eyes and try out different combinations of colors and techniques.


I don't know if I am going to make any more of these guys but they were totally fun to work on and I really was happy with how they came out. I hope Sarah and Adam enjoy them for a long time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment